Distance from Richmond, VA to Washington, DC

Distance

109 mi

Time

1 hour 47 mins

Gas Cost

$8 - $16

Report an error

There are 96.87 miles from Richmond to Washington in northeast direction and 109 miles (175.42 kilometers) by car, following the I-95 N route.

Richmond and Washington are 1 hour 47 mins far apart, if you drive non-stop.

This is the fastest route from Richmond, VA to Washington, DC. The halfway point is Fredericksburg, VA.

Richmond, VA and Washington, DC are in the same time zone (EDT). Current time in both locations is 5:07 pm.

Any questions or tips to share?

Share with fellow travellers any question or tips about the route from Richmond, VA to Washington, DC:



Gas Consumption and Emissions

A car with an MPG of will need 5.03 gallons of gas to cover the route between Richmond, VA and Washington, DC.

The estimated cost of gas to go from Richmond to Washington is $13.33.

During the route, an average car will release 98.53 pounds of CO2 to the atmosphere. Your carbon footprint is 0.91 pounds of CO2 per mile.

Best Hotels In or Near Washington, DC

Do you have where to stay when you arrive to Washington, DC? Check out our hotel recommendations:


Halfway Point Between Richmond, VA and Washington, DC

If you want to meet halfway between Richmond, VA and Washington, DC or just make a stop in the middle of your trip, the exact coordinates of the halfway point of this route are 38.293079 and -77.508774, or 38º 17' 35.0844" N, 77º 30' 31.5864" W. This location is 54.31 miles away from Richmond, VA and Washington, DC and it would take approximately 53 minutes to reach the halfway point from both locations.

Closest City or Town to Halfway Point

The closest town to the halfway point is Fredericksburg, VA, situated 58.27 miles from Richmond, VA and 52.71 miles from Washington, DC. It would take 56 minutes to go from Richmond to Fredericksburg and 58 minutes to go from Washington to Fredericksburg.

Major Cities Along the Route

Some major cities along the route include Arlington, VA,Alexandria, VA, and Henrico, VA.


Lowest Price Rental Cars in Richmond, VA

Planning on renting a car to go from Richmond, VA to Washington, DC? Here there are some offers to rent a car in or near Richmond, VA:

Small

Small cars

From $14

Intermediate

Intermediate cars

From $18

Full-size

Full-size cars

From $24

SUVs

SUVs

From $28

Vans

Vans

From $40


Compare rental car prices in Richmond »

Weather in Richmond and Washington

Richmond

Light rain today through Monday, with high temperatures bottoming out at 63°F on Saturday.

Tue
Oct 22
Wed
Oct 23
Thu
Oct 24
Fri
Oct 25
Sat
Oct 26
Rain Clear day Clear day Cloudy Rain
67° 55° 67° 48° 69° 40° 68° 44° 64° 49°
91% Rain probability 11% Rain probability 1% Rain probability 34% Rain probability 99% Rain probability
6 169 degrees 6 288 degrees 3 186 degrees 3 219 degrees 3 80 degrees

Washington

Light rain today and Saturday, with high temperatures bottoming out at 62°F on Saturday.

Tue
Oct 22
Wed
Oct 23
Thu
Oct 24
Fri
Oct 25
Sat
Oct 26
Rain Clear day Clear day Cloudy Rain
67° 57° 65° 49° 69° 41° 68° 44° 63° 48°
86% Rain probability 14% Rain probability 1% Rain probability 7% Rain probability 98% Rain probability
7 169 degrees 7 288 degrees 4 201 degrees 4 226 degrees 4 15 degrees

Distance conversions

Checkout the distance in miles, kilometers and nautical miles between Richmond, VA and Washington, DC in this table:

Distance type Miles Kilometers Nautical miles
Straight line distance 96.87 mi 155.90 km 84.18 nautical mi
Driving distance 109 mi 174.82 km 94.40 nautical mi

Road Trip Tips